I think I speak for all Brazilians when I say there's not one of us who's never had a Brazilian style cheese roll, and for many of us (I mean MANY) these are a staple in our diet, the ultimate comfort snack and another reason to go visit grandma every weekend.
When I decided to cut dairy out of my life they were the first thing I thought of. Can I live in a world without cheese rolls? This is gonna be challenging.
Then I found out you can skip the cheese and use potatoes instead. And they are still pure love! My problems were solved, and so are yours. Follow the recipe below for 25 small vegan and naturally gluten free rolls that you can freeze or make right away.
- 2 cups of any type of potatoes, cooked and mashed.
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 2 cups of tapioca flour
- Sea salt to taste (aprox. 1 tsp)
- Nutritional yeast (opcional)
- Herbs to taste (rosemary, oregano, thyme... you name it!)
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large heat resistant bowl, while bringing the water and olive oil to a rapid boil.
- Add the bowling water to the bowl, mix well until you obtain a crumbly wet mixture.
- Wait until it's cold enough for you to work with your hands, add the mashed potatoes and mix well until you have a dough that won't stick to your hands and is easy to work with. If too wet, add more flour.
- Make little rolls with your hands and either freeze them to have on handy during the week or cook them at 350F for 25-30 minutes.